Friday, March 2, 2018

Thinking of Scripts

Hello! Welcome to my Media Studies blog where I will take you in the journey of completing my final project for Aice Media Studies, a two minute film opening. I am beginning the research and planning stages of my film and I have been dwelling on a particular decision I have to make: should I make my film opening script driven or image driven? And I have decided to try and combine both element in a cohesive way by including both an intriguing script and memorable shots.

One aspect an opening scene of a film I do want to include is the use of a jarring, unusual, or dramatic opening sentence said by either a chapter via diegetic sound or through voice over. I have been researching some of the best opening scenes and this is what I have come up with: the introduction to the movie The Godfather (dir. Francis Ford Coppola) which starts with a long monologue from a character, that sets the tone for the rest of the film. 
I have always thought of this film opening to be one of the most intriguing, as it begins in the middle of a discussion between two characters. I think this tactic allows the audience to be immediately sucked into the plot of the movie, but I have to be careful because if the opening monologue has no context or is too complex, I can run the risk of confusing the viewer and ultimately losing their interest. Although the monologue made by the character in the opening scene is diegetic sound, I might combine my opening statement to be voice over and diegetic. I'm unsure for now. 

I, too, want to start with an opening statement that grabs interest and attention to the film and sets the tone for the rest of the film. I have yet to write or find a great quote to use but I will be looking for inspiration. Perhaps I will visit my Grandfather over the weekend because he has some of the most amazing stories as he has lived quite a long and interesting life. I am sure he will give me some sort of inspiration for this project of mine. 

Citation: Ruddy, A. (Producer), & Coppola, F. (Director), (1972). The Godfather [Motion Picture]. United States: Paramount Pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Film Opening!

Here is the link to the film opening! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8azlLRHyqaShaOJC6SBJwzGx7s9Cjpk/view A lot of thought and hard w...