Sunday, March 11, 2018

Love of Nature

I just finished watching the film Life of Pi (dir, Ang Lee), which was honestly one of the best films I’ve ever seen in terms of aesthetics. One of the most memorable parts of the film was the opening sequence where the zoo animals are shown walking around, embracing their natural habitat. The sequence is a bright daylight, with saturated colors. Lee, the director, made interesting choices with color by deciding to really accentuate the colors that occur in the natural world, so that the beauty and diversity of nature can be truly seen. It can be seen in the opening titles of the film. 

It inspired me to do something similar, where the natural world is embraced. My grandmother has a nice flower garden in her front yard, but I don't know if the flowers are bloomed this time of year, so I'll have to check it out. She also has a mango tree in the back, so I could take some shots there too. Since I don't have access to zoo animals, I cannot fully emulate the Life of Pi opening but the point is not to copy it, it is to inspire me. 
Something else the Life of Pi opening reminded me of when I watched it was that I must include title sequences so I can show that I am familiar with film conventions. I know many films now don't have the credits till the end of the film but since I am only making an opening, I must show the credits in the opening.  So, when I begin filming, I have to conscious of including the title somewhere in the frame of the shot.
I''l give you some updates later!
Citations: Netter, G. (Producer). Wormack, D. (Producer). & Lee, A. (Producer, Director). (2012). The Life of Pi [Motion Picture]. United States: 20th Century Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Film Opening!

Here is the link to the film opening! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8azlLRHyqaShaOJC6SBJwzGx7s9Cjpk/view A lot of thought and hard w...