Sunday, March 4, 2018

Target Audience

When making a film, one must always consider the target audience before they actually film it. That is what I am doing right now. In a previous post, I expressed my desire to create an opening that portrays female, hispanic character without to resorting to cliches or stereotypes that do not represent these identities at all. 
Taking this into consideration, I did some research on prominent movie goers. 

According to a news article by NBC, Hispanic people make up one of the largest percentage of moviegoers, yet are least represented in movies. In fact, in 2014, the Motion Picture Association of America reports that while Latinos made up 17 percent of the U.S. population, they accounted for 32 percent of frequent moviegoers in 2013. By definition, frequent moviegoers are people who went to watch a movie once a month or more. Perhaps by making a hispanic person my lead, I will appeal to this large percentage of Hispanics who go to the movies often, and therefore ensure that my film has a large scope of viewership.

Additionally, I am going to make a film opening that would have a woman as the lead. Therefore, this narrows the target audience scope further. In fact, according to an article by Variety, a study on the box office results for the film "Wonder Woman" (dir. Patty Jenkins), has revealed that the majority of the moviegoers were female and older audiences. Since "Wonder Woman" is also a film that has empowered woman by showcasing a female as the lead, I should expect similar results. 

I will update the target audience once I know what I am going to make my film opening about more in detail.

Sources: 
  •  Roven, C. (Producer) , Snyder, D. (Producer), Snyder, Z. (Producer), Suckle, R. (Producer) & Jenkins, P. (Director). (2017). Wonder Woman. [Motion Picture]. United States: Warner Bros. Pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Film Opening!

Here is the link to the film opening! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8azlLRHyqaShaOJC6SBJwzGx7s9Cjpk/view A lot of thought and hard w...